For citizens of foreign countries that wish to enter the United States for a fixed period of time, the Department of State requires each individual to apply and obtain a temporary visa. However, there are many different types of temporary visas and each comes with different requirements that can make the process confusing.
Here’s what you need to know about getting a temporary visa:
- The activities you will be doing in the United States will dictate the types of temporary visas for which you will need to apply. Activities being undertaken can include but are not limited to attending school, visiting or touring, and working.
- A visa can only authorize one activity. For example, you cannot obtain one sole visa to cover both attending school and working.
- The type of visa you obtain determines the amount of time you are permitted to legally stay in the country. It is your responsibility to understand the terms of your visa and its expiration.
- While the forms required for a visa will vary depending on the type, for nearly all types an applicant needs to establish (1) that he or she can financially cover their expenses while in the U.S., (2) that he or she has ties to a home country that will draw them back upon completion of their stay, and (3) that he or she has a valid passport whose expiration date is at least six months beyond the date they will leave the U.S.
- The process for getting a visa could take weeks or months and will most likely require an in-person interview with your local U.S. embassy or consulate.
Because of the United States’ increased security measures, the process of applying for and obtaining a temporary visa has become more complicated. Because immigration issues have the potential to make a massive impact on the lives of those involved, it’s incredibly important that the process is done correctly the first time.
Houston Immigration Lawyers
If you are facing an immigration process, an experienced Houston immigration attorney can help. Whether you are filing for citizenship or just a temporary visa, the process can be intimidating, but the Houston immigration lawyers at Adame Garza LLP can help you through the immigration process and can put your mind at ease. Contact us today to discuss your situation.
Get in Touch
to set up an appointment with one of our accomplished attorneys. 713.863.7100 EMAIL