Many people ride bicycles for enjoyment, exercise, or to get around. However, riding a bicycle can be incredibly dangerous if surrounding vehicles don’t share the road safely. Because bicycles offer no protection to the rider, bicycle accidents with cars can be fatal. To help reduce the number of accidents between cars and bicycles, drivers need to exercise more caution.
When you get behind the wheel, follow these tips to help keep bicyclists safe:
- Always be aware of your surroundings. Obviously, bicycles are not nearly as large as cars. Just a glance in the side view mirror might not be enough to spot a bicyclist, so drivers need to be constantly aware of the space around their cars.
- Always look twice before turning. Before you make a turn, you need to ensure there is not a bicyclist traveling beside you. Cutting them off when turning will cause severe injuries.
- Give them space. Cars have the potential to cause catastrophic injuries to bicyclists, so when driving near bicyclists, give them plenty of space.
- Avoid distractions. One of the most common causes of bicycle accidents is distracted driving. It only takes seconds for bicycle accidents to occur – checking your phone or changing the radio station could be deadly.
- Do not drink and drive. Driving while intoxicated can cause a variety of accidents. Pedestrians and bicyclists are most at risk in collisions with drunk drivers because they do not have any protection in the event of an accident.
- Don’t slam on your brakes. Stopping erratically may not give bicyclists behind you enough time to stop. While you cannot always predict when you need to slow down, do your best to avoid erratic driving.
- Slow down. You might be in a rush to get where you are going, but when you get behind the wheel you need to drive responsibly. Speeding can put everyone around you at risk for car accident injuries.
Bicyclists have a right to ride safely on the road just as any motor vehicle. When drivers recklessly injure bicyclists, they need to be held accountable.
Houston Bicycle Accident Lawyers
If you or loved one was injured or killed in a bicycle accident, do not wait to call the experienced Houston bicycle accident lawyers at Adame Garza LLP today. We can help you understand your legal options and pursue compensation on your behalf.
Get in Touch
to set up an appointment with one of our accomplished attorneys.