The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) works to provide employees with a safe workplace through safety regulations that employers must abide by. Although its work has led to a decrease in workplace fatalities over the years, many employers still fail to provide safe work environments for their employees, causing over 4,600 workplace fatalities in 2014.
While workplace injuries can occur in any environment, some industries have higher risks due to the nature of the jobs performed.
The Most Dangerous Industries For Workplace Fatalities Include:
- Construction – From electricians to roofers, workers in the construction industry are exposed to a host of dangers on a daily basis. While proper safety training, safety gear, and warning signs can greatly reduce the likelihood of an incident, the construction industry has more workplace fatalities than any other industry.
- Transportation – Although there are strict regulations for the transportation and trucking industry to keep workers safe, truck drivers face serious risks while performing their jobs. Because the cargo they transport is often very heavy and large, they are at a higher risk of serious injury or death in the event of an workplace motor vehicle accident.
- Agriculture – Farmers and other agricultural workers use heavy machinery that can be very dangerous. While these machines are crucial to complete the work, they increase the likelihood of amputations and other catastrophic injuries.
- Mining – On a daily basis, miners are exposed to risks like cave-ins, gas explosions, vehicle collisions, chemical leaks, electrocution, and fires.
- Maritime – Maritime workers face one of the most dangerous and unpredictable forces on the job: the weather. Fishermen, offshore oil and gas workers, seamen, and other offshore employees are also often isolated, so if an injury does occur, emergency personnel and treatment are not close at hand.
Houston Workplace Accident Attorneys
Whether you work in an office or on an offshore oilrig, you have a right to a safe workplace. If your employer failed to meet required federal safety standards and you were injured as a result, call the experienced Houston workplace accident attorneys at Adame Garza LLP today for a free consultation.
Get in Touch
to set up an appointment with one of our accomplished attorneys. 713.863.7100 EMAIL