Because 18-wheelers have massive force and weight behind them, they have the potential to cause catastrophic damage. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), over 3,800 fatal 18-wheeler accidents occurred in 2012 with thousands suffering truck accident injuries. With so many fatalities and injuries occurring each year from 18-wheeler accidents, it’s important to know what causes these accidents.
Top Causes of 18 Wheeler Accidents Include:
- Distracted driving – Truck drivers are just as susceptible to being distracted as other motorists. Things like cell phone use can greatly increase the likelihood of an accident.
- Driving under the influence – While driving under the influence is responsible for a very small portion of accidents, intoxicated truck drivers have decreased reaction times and poor judgment, which can lead to catastrophic accidents.
- Truck driver fatigue – Federal law limits the number of consecutive hours a truck driver can work; however, these laws are not always obeyed and drowsy driving can be just as deadly as distracted driving or driving under the influence.
- Speeding – Truckers are often working under tight deadlines, and sometimes cut corners to try to get the job done. Speeding can greatly increase the severity of an accident.
- Reckless driving – Making improper lane changes and other reckless behaviors put other motorists at an extreme risk.
- Overloaded trucks –FMCSA has imposed strict weight limits on 18-wheelers, but when the limits are not followed, the likelihood of truck rollover or cargo spillage greatly increases.
- Failure to obey traffic signs and signals – Just as it does with other motorists, when truckers follow traffic signs and signals, it helps keep everyone safe. Because 18-wheelers have the potential to cause so much damage, it is particularly crucial that truckers obey these traffic signs and signals.
Houston 18 Wheeler Accident Attorneys
If you or a loved one was injured or killed in an 18-wheeler accident, you need an attorney that is highly experienced in handling 18-wheeler cases, who understands trucking company tactics for avoiding liability, and who is highly knowledgeable with regards to trucking industry regulations, customs, and best practices. The Houston 18 wheeler injury attorneys at Adame Garza LLP have helped many victims obtain the compensation they deserve for their injuries. Call us today for a free consultation.
Get in Touch
to set up an appointment with one of our accomplished attorneys. 713.863.7100 EMAIL